Saturday, November 18, 2006

acceptance

A few thoughts that watered my growth today.

read the below comment on another site and had to post it here in total agreement. seen this a million times. the next conflict or difficulty you encounter, be sure to take a moment and consider the source.

Some folks try to think for others because they are afraid of what they might find if they look inside themselves.

also, the following was shared by Dawn through e-group discussion regarding Thanksgiving and dealing with difficult family members:

I had in-laws in my first marriage that despised me. I just decided that there was nothing I could do to change them or how they felt about me but thatI also did not want to behave in a way that gave them an excuse to say. "See? THAT is why we can not stand her!" I decided to react to things in a positive manner. I was not guarded and tried to find something to enjoy about each of them. For instance, while my mother in law did not like me she did raise myhusband and he was a conscientious worker, etc and I honored that she was part of the reason for how he turned out.I was true to the person I was but because I realized that their reactions to me were those of fear it made it easier to understand why they acted likethey did. They felt that I was not good enough for their son and that I would some how bring him down to a lower level. How sad for them! To live yourlife in fear and from fear is the worst type of existence. Living your life from your heart and in love is the ultimate and most fulfilling way to be.When I understood that it gave me pity for them.Looking at any situation from the "outside" and "observing" it rather than becoming part of it also helps in stressful situation. We can choose to participatein a situation or not. We can allow a situation to effect us or we can decide to just watch the action. We do not have to absorb the feelings of others and make them ours. Know that and practice it and you will find that many things that "make" you angry or upset will no longer have control over you or your life. When you know that, you will gain the ability to keep your own power rather than giving others or situations control over you.

No comments: