Monday, October 15, 2007

Nobody wants your negativity!

Naysayers tend to deflate motivation and bring productivity to a grinding halt -- just to salve their needy egos. "Negative evaluation is a tactic people use when they're intellectually insecure," says Teresa Amabile, a professor of business administration at Harvard Business School.

Steven Gaffney writes, "Choose not to be around people who are negative. Instead choose to be around people who have the attitude you want or desire. It is amazing how often people allow themselves to be around people who have lousy attitudes. You can at least limit your time around that person(s) with a negative attitude as much as possible."

If I've seen it once...Negativity breeds negativity. I once had a friend who thrived on it. I chose to distance myself from them because of one too many moments of mistreatment and disappointment in this person's overall behavior. I realized I could no longer be okay with their inability to control their negativity not only toward me but on everyone that wasn't on their good list (the list had about two people, maybe four). Complete and total viciousnes came through but even through all of it, I wished them nothing but happiness and joy. I figure they need the wishes more than me. It was as if their whole life was built on pointing out what's wrong with everyone else and never looking inside to see what's REALLY going on or maybe even wrong with them. They mastered the art of projection, ascribing one's own feelings, thoughts, or attitudes to others. I sincerely hope that they get to find what truly makes them happy and that once and for all, they really see themselves and all the possibilities of what true faith and positivity can bring them.

There is war. There is pollution. There is tragedy. You have the choice to create something better to help us all through the unfortunates. Be a positive light instead of a dark cave of negativity.

No comments: